Call for Book Submission
We write you with great excitement that we are now collecting title submissions for the 2017 Las Comadres and Friends National Latino Book Club. As most of you know, Las Comadres is a nation-wide grassroots internet-based group of Latinas that was launched in April 2000 in Austin, Texas. It has since grown to over 100 U.S. cities, and more will be added as time permits. Its 24,000-strong membership keeps Latinos and Latinas connected via email networks, teleconferences, and monthly events in each city.
Selected titles will gain great exposure among this ever-growing network. Authors also will be featured in the Las Comadres monthly teleconferences, which currently boast growing registrations of approximately one hundred Latinas each month. For prior selections or more information about the AAP’s collaboration with Las Comadres, please go to http://lascomadres.com/latinolit/latino-book-club/
Our mission is to promote the work of the Latina/o authors and we are committed to bringing their work to book lovers everywhere.
If your book is chosen, you will have the opportunity to be highlighted in many forums. We promote for the monthly book club meetings and teleconference via our website, Facebook and Twitter. You will also be interviewed in a live teleconference in the month your book has been selected. Our teleconference is recorded and placed on our website.
Book/Authors Criteria for Submission
- Books must be written by a Latina/Latino and titles must be available in the English language.
- Authors whose titles are selected must be available for interviews for the monthly teleconference for the month they have been selected. We will work with publishers and authors to find the best date and month in which to feature respective selections.
- Publishers may submit a maximum of two (2) titles per imprint, not to exceed (5) titles per publishing house per year
- We welcome entries that celebrate the Latino diversity – anything from poetry to history. Our Book Club strives to read books with a broad range of literary styles. Please note, Las Comadres is Latina-centric and will continue to focus primarily on adult fiction and non-fiction titles by Latina authors.
- There are two categories to be considered:
- Book of the Month – if chosen for this category, the author as main selection of our monthly book club and teleconference will submit 30 books* to be given to our book club discussion leaders and as gifts to some early registrants who sign up for the teleconference.
- Conversations With – if chosen for this category, the author as participant of our monthly book club and teleconference will submit 15 books* to be given as gifts to some early registrants who sign up for the teleconference.
* We will accept no more than 10 books as ebooks, if selected as the Book of the Month, and 6 ebooks if your book is selected as our Conversations With book.
How to Submit a Book for Consideration
In order to accommodate publication schedules and increase submissions, Las Comadres along with AAP will now be issuing a call for submissions twice a year. Below are the deadlines for your call for book club participation:
- Books for June to December – deadline is May 13 [Pub. Date June 2016 – December 2017]
- Books for January to June – deadline is October 31 [Pub. Date January 2017- June 2018]
To submit your book:
- Email the following submission information to Submissions.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Publication date:
- Retail price:
- Summary (50 words or less):
- ISBN: (if available)
- Please indicate if publisher will release book club discussion questions (online/included in book)
2. Mail a copy of the above via post, with (2) copies of each galley (if available) or
sample chapter and a synopsis to:
9247 Ridge Post
San Antonio, TX 78250
Please note that we will also accept ebook format for the book consideration process. To submit by ebook, please send an email to: email@example.com
In general, after the initial confirmation email you will not hear from us again for some time. Every submission is carefully considered and this process can take time. Please allow a month or two for a response from us. If your book is chosen, you will be responsible for sending the books out to discussion leaders and early registrants.
If there are questions regarding the book club and/or submission process, please send an email to Julia Abrantes, Project Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org
We look forward to expanding the success of this Book Club with your help!
Las Comadres and Friends National Latino Book Club in association with the American Association of Publishers